Biography of Edward O. Thorp, PhD
A pioneer in quantitative finance and the quantitative revolution in investing, Dr. Edward O. Thorp is an expert in the fields of game theory, functional analysis, probability & statistics, and mathematical finance. He has run successful hedge funds since 1969.
Copyright © 2003-2022 Red Rock Capital, LLC. All rights reserved.
The risk of loss in trading commodities & futures contracts can be substantial. You should therefore carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The high degree of leverage that is often obtainable in commodity trading can work against you as well as for you. The use of leverage can lead to large losses as well as gains. In some cases, managed commodity accounts are subject to substantial charges for management and advisory fees. It may be necessary for those accounts that are subject to these charges to make substantial trading profits to avoid depletion or exhaustion of their assets. The disclosure document contains a complete description of the principal risk factors and each fee to be charged to your account by the Commodity Trading Advisor. The regulations of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission require that prospective clients of a CTA receive a disclosure document at or prior to the time an advisory agreement is delivered and that certain risk factors be highlighted. This document is readily accessible from Red Rock Capital, LLC. This brief statement cannot disclose all of the risks and other significant aspects of the commodity markets. Therefore, you should thoroughly review the disclosure document and study it carefully to determine whether such trading is appropriate for you in light of your financial condition. The CFTC has not passed upon the merits of participating in this trading program nor on the adequacy or accuracy of the disclosure document. Other disclosure statements are required to be provided to you before a commodity account may be opened for you.
Testimonials are not indicative of future performance or success.
• Founded first quantitative hedge fund
• Co-founded the first market neutral hedge fund
• Principal of the first hedge fund to employ derivative hedging
• Invented card counting in Blackjack
• Pioneered many strategies now routinely used on Wall Street and throughout the
hedge fund industry (Option Arbitrage, Warrant Modeling and Convertible Arbitrage,
Index Arbitrage, Statistical Arbitrage)
• 48+ year Wall Street veteran
Managing General Partner
• Princeton Newport Partners; Market Neutral Derivatives Hedging
• Ridgeline Partners; Statistical Arbitrage
• Edward O. Thorp & Associates: Family Office & Family FoF
• University of California, Los Angeles, Instructor
• Massachusetts Institute of Technology, C.L.E. Moore Instructor
• New Mexico State University, Prof. of Mathematics
• University of California, Irvine, Prof. of Mathematics & Finance
• BA Physics, UCLA (1953)
• MA Physics, UCLA (1955)
• PhD Mathematics, UCLA (1958)
"To me, the thing to do seemed to be to protect my investors and their interests and do the best I could for them and just stay ahead in research as well as I could."
-- Edward O. Thorp
Thomas Rollinger, Chief Investment Officer and Managing Partner of Red Rock Capital, was honored to have previously worked alongside Dr. Thorp for over 4 years.
Mr. Rollinger staunchly believes that he's a better investor, and better portfolio manager, because of that experience.
(Please note: Dr. Thorp is not associated with Red Rock Capital in any way.)